Thursday, May 27, 2010

they make me feel so alive


It's a dismal, rainy sort of day today. It's a good kind of day to sit inside and make art, preferably with a pot of vegan chili bubbling in the background.


I just finished adding the final touches to a painting I started on Sunday. I wanted to start painting earlier, but I kept getting distracted by lost painting equipment (my drop cloth, to protect the kitchen table from flung water), or doing my taxes. It was kind of a good thing though: I was forced to spend more time doing thumbnail sketches and solidifying my composition. I work very intuitively a lot of the time, so forcing myself to slow down and think about what I wanted it to look like when I was done.


This was the first painting that I used an under-painting for, and I think that it turned out awesomely. It's definitely a technique I'll have to continue to use for future paintings.

The image is based on a rainbow I saw last year whilst driving through the Rocky Mountains with a couple of friends. It was one of the most perfect rainbows we had ever seen, and a fitting ending for a most awesome road trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment