Sunday, August 22, 2010

gone gaga

Once a month I perform at a drag king show with a troupe called Fake Mustache. I've been performing for about three years now, and I love it so much. At the last show I donned a wig, make-up, as many rhinestones as I could stomach and performed the gayest version of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" that anyone has ever seen.
It was brilliant. One of these days I really will become a drag queen. I spent quite a while making the costume for it as well, which is one of the reasons I'm so proud of myself. Costuming is one of my favourite things to do. It's such a challenge to create something that is recognizable, accurate, and almost never comes with its own pattern. And since this performance was more a gender-fuck than true queening I decided I needed the top to act as a binder as well.




4 comments: